2018.01.22 / 1439.05.04 (H)
Guidelines from ACJU with regard to Local Government Elections:
To the Attention of Voters and Candidates!
We believe that we have the moral obligation to put forward certain disciplinary guidelines to be strictly followed by the voters and the candidates. First of all we would like to remind the voters that using the ballots is an opportunity of contributing towards the great service of building our nation: and this should be the perspective of the Elections.
It is not overstating if we say through the anticipated Local Government Elections a great opportunity is given to the people to build a political culture based on the dimensions of our motherland and putting up a foundation for the good-governance. In the Islamic perspective balloting in election is similar to offering Shafa’ah, which means recommending, Waqalah which is offering accountability and above all it is a Shahadah which means to bear testimony.
The voters shall adopt the following guidelines:
- Our ballots shall be casted to candidates devoid of fraudulent activities and to those who bear excellent moral character.
- We shall confirm that one who receives our ballots should be a patriotic and a social worker, having the feeling of developing his locality.
- Voters’ selection shall be one who shall feel that he is undertaking a great service for the people: and not one desires for designation and use politics for making money.
- Candidates violating the country’s law and order should be rejected.
- Candidates making efforts inducing ethnic violence and religious hatred speeches during their propaganda activities should be rejected from selection.
- Criticizing other political parties, and other candidates, humiliating with indecent behavior are all not suitable to be selected.
Political Parties for Local Government elections and their candidates are expected to follow the election guidelines given below:
- Your expectation shall be good governance in our motherland shall be bloomed, all communities and people of all faiths shall live together unitedly with peace and harmony, the country shall develop in all criteria and progress as fast as possible. This way you shall shine as a model of a good governance, which is our sole expectation.
- You all shall keep in mind that Position is not only a blessing, but, an Amanath (a Trust), too. In your private life, family life, and social life you must carefully maintain spiritual and moral good qualities.
- With praiseworthy characteristics like simplicity, sacrifice and dedication a Muslim’s activities shall be witnessing Islam and Muslim community being Muslim candidates and Islamic leaders.
- You shall not get involved in power abuse and any nefarious activities. On contrary, follow just and fair positions at all situations.
- You shall guaranty that through any of your actions or activities you may not cause injustice to any individual or groups.
- Similarly when speaking of the rights of your own community you shall follow a civilized etiquette to avoid hurting other brothers’ feelings.
Finally, at all situations let us fear Allah, the Almighty. May Allah be satisfied with all our good efforts!
Ash-Shaikh A.C. Agar Mohamed
Deputy President / In-charge of Political Division
All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulama