GUIDANCE FROM ACJU WITH REGARD TO THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS
All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulama (ACJU) earnestly requests Muslims of this country to adhere to the following guidelines with regard to the Presidential Elections scheduled to be held on 16th of November 2019.
- It is a well-known fact that ACJU is a civil Organization has been engaged well over 90 years in social, religious activities in this country. It neither supports nor raise against any political party or any candidate. Therefore we kindly request all concerned, not to engage in the political propaganda with the name of All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulama.
- We as Muslims, strongly believe that the universe and all its affairs are invariably ruled and governed by the pre-destination of Almighty Allah and whoever is elected in the elections is too predetermined. Hence we wholeheartedly accept the results of the election irrespective of who won in the election.
- While acknowledging that the success of lives of this world and the hereafter completely depend upon the sincerely following and abiding by the teachings and guidance of the Prophet Muhammad (Salallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam – Peace be upon Him), the Muslim community should abide by these teachings even during the period of elections. As Muslims we should resort to prayers to fulfil our needs at all times. Therefore supplications should be made abundantly for a bright future in our motherland and for the betterment of all citizens and we should engage in the performance of good deeds excessively and thereby be blessed with the Mercy of the Almighty.
- In a democratic country any person can contest in any party and similarly one has the right to support any candidate of his choice, which is one’s fundamental rights. As citizens of this nation, Muslims must utilize the voting rights in most beneficial manner and at no circumstance should this democratic right be neglected.
- It is essential the candidates whom we vote for are those who are patriotic, committed towards the betterment of the citizens and dedicated to drive this nation towards prosperity.
- Muslims should be vigilant, especially during these times, and refrain from any form of words or deeds which are unlawful. One should be mindful that spreading of rumors, engaging in unnecessary arguments, quarrels and violence are against the teachings of Islam and have negative impact on our Faith (Imaan).
- The Ulama (Religious Scholars) should completely avoid supporting or opposing any political party or candidate in their respective sermons in Masjids and should guide the community to adhere to these guidelines with regard to the Elections. Masjids shall not be used under any circumstance for any form of election propaganda and other related activities.
- As soon the Elections are over, discipline should be maintained. The Muslim community should preserve unity and peaceful coexistence at all times and conduct themselves in an exemplary manner.
The ACJU kindly requests the Ulama, Masjid Trustees, professionals, members of the ACJU District and Divisional Branches island-wide to guide the general public to adhere to the above guidelines.
Ash Shaikh A.C. Agar Mohamed
All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulama