Assalamu Alaikum Warahmathullaahi Wa Barakaathuhu
Some guidelines on carrying out the Zakathul Fitr this year
1. Zakatul Fitr is a charity that becomes obligatory when the crescent for the month of Shawwal is sighted, upon those who can afford it. The Prophet (PBUH) said, “Zakatul Fitr purifies the sins of a person who has fasted, and is a sustenance for the poor.”
2. Generally, Zakatul Fitr becomes obligatory upon the sighting of the crescent for Shawwaal. However, according to the Shafi Mad’hab, it can be discharged from the time the crescent of Ramadhan is sighted.
3. Although it would be permissible to give the equivalent monetary value according to the Hanafi Mad’hab, majority of the scholars like Imam Malik, Imam Shafi and Imam Ahmed share the view that the main grain that is consumed has to be given. It cannot be replaced with its equivalent monetary value. This is the most authentic view.
4. The amount payable as Zakatul Fitr “one Saa’”, i.e 2.4 Kilogram per person.
5. Due to the prevailing situation in the country, it would be very difficult to look for those in need and pay the Zakatul Fitr to them personally.
6. We urge the prominent people of the town/Masjid Boards/charity organizations that function in the town to make the following arrangements:
• Decide the value of 2.4 Kilogram of rice, define a payment period,
• Make a public announcement that this would be issued to the needy,
• Collect the payments from those who could afford to pay,
• Purchase the rice on behalf of them,
• Thereafter distribute them among those who are eligible to receive Zakath, before the festival prayers.
Ash Sheikh M.L.M. Ilyas
Secretary – Fatwa Committee
All Ceylon Jammiyyathul Ulama